Friday

The Oprah Effect (and how we are taught to think everyone is right)

Nowadays no one is ever wrong. Everyone is right. This is a horrible thing, and its all because of Oprah Winfrey and her god damn show.

Oprah Winfrey began her queenship of the television industry on September 8th, 1986, and has since had 22 seasons and over 3,000 episodes. She teaches the fact that everyone as a right to be right, and this is inherently wrong.

Now, I know what your thinking, something along the lines of your evil or more likely why is that a bad thing? And I admit, on the surface, it seems great. Everyone is right and no one is wrong. But I'll tell you why its bad, because it throws off the God-Given balance of the universe. Some people just have to be wrong.

Sure, agreeing that you are both right when arguing about your preferred style of clothing, is harmless; but what about the war in Iraq? You would probably come to the same conclusion, that you were both right in your own way.

If I saw a tree, and said "Hey, look, there is a beautiful Oak tree with many leaves." And my friend Mikey looked at me and said, "Dude, there is no tree." This would seem like I was living inside of the movie The Matrix first of all, but second of all, one of us has to be right. Either the tree is there or it is not. 

Of course you can get all philosophical and say that the existence of the tree is based on both of our personal perceptions of reality, but this is retarded. The tree either exists, or it does not.

This inability to argue with a successful outcome has made American society weak. Look at our partisan government; two groups that can never agree, and therefore never (really) try to.

I'm not saying this isn't a problem I deal with. In fact, I may be unable to say anyone is wrong. This is very prevalent for me when talking about religion, who am I to say that another face is wrong and I am right? I know your probably saying this is a good thing, which may or may not be true. I honestly don't know.

But either way, imagine a world without constant compromise. Imagine a world without Oprah Winfrey.

No comments: