Thursday

"Franny and Zooey" Review


So, I'm a little behind on the times.

I just finished reading a few books while away; and one of them was J.D Salinger's Franny and Zooey.

Published in 1961, the "novel" consists of a short story named "Franny" and a novella named "Zooey". The two are title characters, and Franny ends up playing a major role in the Zooey portion of the text.

Franny and Zooey revolves around the Glass family, a fictional family in which many Salinger short stories are based on. The family is a family of almost geniuses, with 3 brothers, 2 sisters and an eccentric mother.

Franny and Zooey was great. I have to admit, earlier this year was I finally read The Catcher in the Rye, and like most - I loved it. But Franny and Zooey is much different from Catcher, from the telling of the story (Catcher in first person, Franny and Zooey in third) and though they both smell of Salinger's classic Teen Angst, Franny and Zooey reaches higher philosophical aspirations that Catcher does.

That being said, I still like Catcher more.

But I highly recommend Franny and Zooey not only to Salinger regulars, but to anyone really. It's simply a great book, and Salinger is simply a great writer.

So check it out - it'll be worth your time.

No comments: