Friday

(500) Days of Summer


Was (500) Days of Summer the best movie I’ve ever seen? As a reviewer, I’m supposed to say no… but I’m not sure if I can. I’m not sure if it was the best, but I am sure it’s pretty damn close.

(500) Days of Summer, directed by music video veteran Marc Webb, is funny, smart, and not pretentious. The script, written by Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber (of Pink Panther 2) is one of the most original of the decade. It provides the A Heart Breaking Work of Staggering Genius generation an cinematic anthem for them to rally behind.

(500) Days of Summer tells of the relationship of Tom (Joseph Gordan-Levitt) and Summer (Zooey Deschanel) through their 500-day relationship, in random order. Yet, much like Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu’s 21 Grams, it maintains it’s dramatic art and leaves a lasting impact.

Both Gordan-Levitt and Deschanel provide landmark performances, especially Gordan-Levitt, who has and will continue to be a rising leading man in our cinematic landscape. You feel his every up and down, and you’re with him to the very end.

I’d be doing a disservice to you if I described the movies plot in detail, but know that it is exactly how the trailer describes it, however cheesy it may sound, “This is not a love story. This is a story about Love.”

God, I am certain that the cinematic hounds are going to reign in on me any minute for providing such a glowing review, free of any real critiques. If every aspect of criticism is actually part autobiography, then this is my WEINGARTNER by Nick Weingartner, and I am fully aware of it.

For all its worth, however negligible it may be to you, I suggest this movie with highest regards. I felt every reference, and felt as if I were literally attached to every actor. It was great film that said a lot, but it didn’t make a point of doing so. It was important, but it wasn’t self-important, and it will soon join the ranks of films like Garden State as a cult classic of a new generation. I mean, damn, there’s even a part where Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) looks into a car for his reflection and sees Han Solo… how can you beat something like that?

By all means, take or leave my advice. But I’ll tell you that if you choose the latter, you’ll be missing one of the best, most original and most beautiful films of not only the summer, nor year, but maybe the decade.

POST-SCRIPT (written many a while later): Have you ever seen a movie and been thrown into a fit of joy? That’s when I wrote this review, and I think that that says plenty about the quality of the film. I apologize for any over-hyping that may or may not have occurred because of this.

No comments: