Saturday

MOON

Moon is just about the best damn movie of the summer. In fact, it may just be the best piece of science fiction since The Matrix, or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, if you count the latter into the genre.

The movie is a tour-de-force. Duncan Jones’ (formerly Zowie Bowie) story and direction is immaculate, Nathan Parker’s screenplay is amazing, Clint Mansell provides his best since The Fountain, and if Sam Rockwell doesn’t get an Oscar for his performance as Sam Bell… well, let’s just say that I’ll lose all faith in the Academy.

I am confident enough to say that Moon has renewed my faith in film as a medium. After facing letdown after letdown and seeing pretension reeking havoc in independent and ‘art film’, I have been slowly becoming disillusioned with it all. But Moon is one of those movies that leaves you with a feeling when you leave the theater… it makes you think, appreciate, and actually view life a little bit differently.

Now I’m not going to belittle the film by cracking into its plot and such here. Just go see the film and experience it for yourself. I know I’m probably doing it injustice by hyping it up so much, but I can’t help myself. Even though the movie has already been reviewed by one of the websites I write for (JustPressPlay.Net), I find myself rushing home from the theater to whittle at my keyboard and hope to drum up some response that will represent the film for what it is.

It’s not perfect, but it’s damn near close, and if you have been finding yourself losing faith in filmmaking, then just get to your local theater, pay their outrageous prices, and sit down and watch this film. You will not regret it.

No comments: